Sunday, February 24, 2013

Who doesn't love Texas Sheetcake??!!

So, last night I realized that we needed treats for a meeting my husband was having at our house this afternoon.  It was after 9:00 and I was contemplating serving Rice Crispy Treats because I could whip up a batch pretty quick... then, sudden inspiration came-- my sister's birthday was yesterday.....she lives in Texas.... see where my mind was going? (birthday's have birthday cake, my sister lives in Texas, the first time I saw this recipe was in a cookbook from her)......I knew I had to make a Texas Sheet Cake!!! --Thank you Leila for the idea!! --and I hope you had a wonderful birthday!!!!

We were finished by 10:00 last night, quick and easy and super delicious!!!

I got carried away cutting big slices of this delicious treat but our guests devoured them...yum!!!

 

Texas Sheet Cake


  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup butter
  • 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
Grease and flour a  jelly roll pan.  In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt.
In a medium saucepan combine 1 cup butter, 1/3 cup cocoa, and 1 cup of water. Bring mixture to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. With a mixer, beat chocolate mixture into the dry ingredients until thoroughly blended. Add eggs, 1/2 cup of buttermilk, and 1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla. Beat for 1 minute (batter will be thin). Pour batter into the prepared pan.Bake in a 350° oven about 22 to 25 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
 

Chocolate Frosting

  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
  • 6 tablespoons buttermilk
  • 4 cups sifted powdered sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts
Frosting:
In a medium saucepan combine butter, cocoa powder and  buttermilk. Bring to a boil, stirring, over medium heat. Remove from heat; add powdered sugar and vanilla. Beat until smooth. Add more powdered sugar or buttermilk, if needed, for a spreadable frosting.  Spread the warm frosting over the cake and sprinkle chopped nuts on top. Mmmm!!


Serve with cold milk.

Makes 24 servings. (or 12 huge servings!!!) 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment